Grand Tour of America's West end Rapid City (Summer 2018)
Brochure Type: USA & Canada 2018
A journey of contrasts through lively and glamorous cities like San Francisco and LA with the rugged, peaceful beauty of the iconic National Parks of the West.
Additional Included Highlights
- Sedona: Visit this Red Rock Country artists' colony
- Grand Canyon: Enjoy stunning views
- Cameron: Stop at the Historic Trading Post
- Glen Canyon: Visit the dam
- Bryce Canyon National Park: Enjoy the rugged beauty with a leisurely walk along Sunset Point to view the hoodoos
- Salt Lake City: View the headquarters for the Mormon religion
- Jackson: See the town's iconic antler arch
- Grand Teton National Park: Enjoy views of Jenny Lake
- Yellowstone National Park: See Old Faithful and the other natural wonders
- Black Hills: Witness the huge Crazy Horse Memorial and the famous Mount Rushmore National Memorial
- San Francisco: See the cable cars, Union Square and Golden Gate Bridge
- Sonoma: Explore the shops of this Spanish Plaza
- Yosemite National Park: Experience the natural beauty and wildlife. See the El Capitan and Half Dome rock formations
- San Joaquin Valley: Stop at a historic fruit stand
- Carmel-by-the-Sea: Browse the art galleries and shops
- Santa Barbara: Drive down State Street, view the Court House and Stearns Wharf
- Santa Monica: Stroll along the Third Street Promenade
- Los Angeles: Drive along Sunset Boulevard, see the Hollywood Walk of Fame and Grauman's Chinese Theater
- Scenic Drives: 17-Mile Drive past the Pebble Beach Golf Links.
- Grand Canyon: Enjoy a Highlight Dinner at the Thunderbird Room while taking in views of the South Rim.
- UCross: Savour a hearty ranch style Highlight Dinner.
- Custer: Toast to the finale of your tour at a lively Celebration Dinner with wine.
- Sonoma: Sample a private tasting at a local Sonoma vineyard.
- Monterey: Dinner with wine is available from a selection of restaurants on your Dine-Around Evening.
- Included Quality Dining: 22 Full Breakfasts (FB) and 11 Dinners (D) with wine (DW).
- Grand Canyon: Join a Local Expert for an informative presentation and witness the burnt orange hues of the canyon walls.
- Monument Valley: Join a Navajo guide in an open-air vehicle to explore the iconic vistas of this Navajo Tribal Park.
- UCross: Spend your morning with included horseback riding* in your beautiful surroundings.
- Deadwood: Historical Wild West figures such as Wild Bill Hickok and Calamity Jane called Deadwood home. Learn about the Gold Rush and the town's notable residents aboard Kevin Costner's Original Deadwood Tour.
- Deadwood: Enjoy an audience with Lakota tribe members as they share a live narrative of the Great Sioux Nation.
- San Francisco: Revisit the 'Summer of Love' with a Local Expert and former hippie at Haight-Ashbury, the iconic district where the hippie counterculture evolved.
- San Francisco: Timeless yet modern, The Westin St Francis Union Square has a vibrant, directly located on Union Square, with cable cars stopping just outside the doors.
- National Parks Hotels: Insight stays centrally located within the National Park. In these cases, the hotels are much more rustic and typical of the natural environment.
- Lake Powell: We guarantee rooms with lake-views, picture-perfect vistas and breathtaking sunsets at Lake Powell Resorts and Marinas.
- Zion National Park: Stay in rustic charming lodges, located right inside the National Parks.
- Las Vegas: SlSleek modern decor and the luxurious furnishings make every guest feel like royalty at the ARIA Resort and Casino.
- Salt Lake City: Centrally located downtown with views of the Salt Lake Valley and mountain peaks.
- Grand Tetons: Stay right inside the National Park at the desirable Jackson Lake Lodge. One of the largest of all the eco-friendly resorts, with breathtaking views.
- Yellowstone: Insight stays at centrally located within the National Park. In these cases, the hotels are much more rustic and typical of the natural environment.
- UCross: Enjoy a relaxed and peaceful atmosphere during your stay at the Ranch at UCross with the natural scenic beauty of the surroundings.
- Spearfish: Deep in the heart of beautiful canyons you will find Spearfish Canyon Lodge. Built and decorated in the style of the old lodges of the West.
- Custer: Insight stays centrally located within the State Park. In these cases, the hotels are much more rustic and typical of the natural environment.
- Sonoma: The Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn and Spa is surrounded by lush vineyards and dotted with natural hot springs.
- Yosemite: Stay in the park and enjoy Yosemite after the crowds have left, just a short walk to Yosemite Falls.
- Monterey: Located on Cannery Row, Monterey Plaza Hotel and Spa is the most dramatic waterfront hotel in California.
- Santa Barbara: Stay at the Double Tree Fess Parker in beautiful mission-style rooms, with views of the Pacific Ocean and the Santa Ynez Mountains.
- Los Angeles: Stay at JW Marriott Los Angeles LA. LIVE. situated in downtown LA, within walking distance of the city's most noteworthy attractions.
- Scottsdale: Wander the grounds of this desert oasis, leaving behind your hectic lifestyle to relax and renew.
- Lake Powell: A testament to the power of water over rock, glide through the narrow sandstone turns of Antelope Canyon during your cruise.
- Zion Canyon: The most relaxing and informative way to see the grandeur and natural features of the canyon is by a private shuttle that includes live commentary.
- Yellowstone: Upper Geyser Basin boasts the highest concentration of spouting geysers, hot springs, and steaming fumaroles in the world.
- Cody: Explore the award-winning Buffalo Bill Center of the West, known for its excellent Western art collection, firearms and natural history.
- Santa Barbara: Visit Mission Santa Barbara, a historic Spanish mission founded by the Franciscan order in 1786.
- Our highly-skilled Insight Tour Director will ensure your journey is seamless, serving as your expert guide, consummate organiser, and friend in a foreign land.
- Enjoy the comfort of Insight's luxury, air-conditioned, 40-seat touring coach, with extended Business Class legroom and on-board restroom.
- Personal radio headsets give you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights, without missing any of your Local Expert's fascinating commentary.
- We carry your bags for you and promptly deliver them to your hotel door.
- Hotel and restaurant tips are included; you'll never have to worry about how much to give, nor search for foreign currency. Plus, we include all taxes and porterage charges at hotels.
- Stay connected with friends and family with our complimentary coach and hotel Wi-Fi (where available).
- From time to time, your Tour Director will enchant you with an Insight Flourish - a local tidbit representing authentic food or beverages unique to the destination.
- Complimentary transfers from San Francisco Airport and to Rapid City Airport are available only on arrival and departure days. Should your flights not coincide with these transfers, or additional accommodation has been booked through Insight Vacations, charged transfers are available. Alternatively, please make your own way from/to the airport.
- Tour Operator
- Insight Vacations
- Offer valid through 6/30/2018
- 23 Days
- Escorted - Yes
|Day 1||San Francisco||San Francisco, the City by the Bay.: Welcome to California. On arrival at San Francisco International Airport, your transfer will take you to your hotel. At 18:00, join your Tour Director for a Welcome Dinner with wine. (Dinner with Wine)|
Westin St Francis, San Francisco
|Day 2||San Francisco||Exploring San Francisco.: Spend the morning with your Tour Director, taking in the sightsof the city, immersed in the bustling activity in Union Square and beautiful Golden Gate Park. (Full Breakfast)|
Westin St Francis, San Francisco
|Day 3||Sonoma||Haight-Ashbury and a Taste of Wine Country.: (Relaxed Start) Spend the morning with a Local Expert during a walking tour of Haight-Ashbury for a flashback to the Flower Power era. Enter California wine country, walk through vineyards and enjoy a private tasting. Later in the evening, enjoy a Highlight Dinner with local wine. (Full Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
The Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn and Spa.
|Day 4||Yosemite National Park||Yosemite National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.: Travel through California's Gold Country and into the Sierra Nevada Mountains to Yosemite National Park. Explore the valley floor with its spectacular waterfalls, the imposing rock formations of El Capitan and Half Dome, and abundant wildlife. At night, make the most of your hotel being located inside the park and close to North America's highest waterfall. (Full Breakfast)|
Yosemite Valley Lodge.
|Day 5||Monterey||Monterey, the Cradle of History.: Drive down the Sierras and through the fertile San Joaquin Valley. As you arrive in Carmel-by-the-Sea, browse the art galleries and shops on Ocean Avenue, before a relaxing drive across the Monterey Peninsula and along scenic 17-Mile Drive. Pass the famous Pebble Beach Golf Links and multi-million dollar-mansions, before arriving in charming Monterey. For your dining pleasure, you have a spectacular selection of local restaurants to choose from during your Dine-Around Evening with wine. (Full Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Monterey Plaza Hotel and Spa.
|Day 6||Santa Barbara||Hearst Castle and the American Riviera.: Head south to La Cuesta Encantada 'The Enchanted Hill', high above the ocean at San Simeon, for a guided tour of Hearst Castle, the grandiose estate of publishing magnate William Randolph Hearst. Continue south to the resort town of Santa Barbara, often billed as the 'American Riviera' and check in to your beachfront hotel. (Full Breakfast)|
The Fess Parker - A Doubletree by Hilton Resort (Ocean view rooms), Santa Barbara
|Day 7||Los Angeles||Santa Monica and the City of Angels.: Visit the beautiful Mission Santa Barbara and learn about the chain of 21 missions along California's El Camino Real. Then journey along spectacular Santa Monica Bay, passing through glamorous Malibu on your way to Santa Monica. Take a Local Expert led tour of the famous Santa Monica Pier. Continue on to your luxurious LA hotel, the city's one-of-a-kind entertainment destination. (Full Breakfast)|
JW Marriott Los Angeles L.A. LIVE.
|Day 8||Los Angeles||The Glitz and Glam of LA.: In the morning, join a Local Specialist on a private tour of a historic theatre in Hollywood. Then join your Tour Director with a sightseeing tour including Grauman's Chinese Theatre and a stroll along the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Spend time on your own at the historic LA Farmers Market. In the evening, enjoy a Highlight Dinner with wine. (Full Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
JW Marriott Los Angeles LA LIVE.
|Day 9||Scottsdale||Across the Mojave to Scottsdale.: Travel to Scottsdale, crossing the Mojave Desert wilderness and spend the afternoon relaxing at your resort. (Full Breakfast)|
The McCormick Scottsdale.
|Day 10||Grand Canyon||Sedona and the Wonders of the Mighty Grand Canyon.: Head north to the quaint bohemian colony of Sedona, where you can browse the shops and galleries, before travelling on to Grand Canyon National Park. Perhaps take an optional flightseeing tour by helicopter or plane over this natural wonder? Spend the night inside the park, experiencing the peace and quiet once the crowds have departed. During your stay, join a Local Expert for an informative presentation about the wonders of the Grand Canyon. In the evening, enjoy a Highlight Dinner with wine in the Thunderbird Room while taking in the magnificent views. (Full Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
National Park Lodges, Grand Canyon South Rim.
|Day 11||Lake Powell||Monument Valley and Lake Powell.: Head to the historic Cameron Trading Post, featuring Southwest American Indian arts and crafts. Your journey carries on through the colourful Painted Desert to Monument Valley Navajo Tribal Park, where you will board all-terrain vehicles to explore the valley with your Navajo guide. Stop at the Glen Canyon Dam to learn about its impact on the Colorado River before arriving at your lakefront resort. (Full Breakfast / Dinner)|
Lake Powell Resorts and Marinas (Lake view rooms)
|Day 12||Lake Powell||Leisurely Lake Powell.: (Relaxed Start) In the morning, choose to enjoy the resort's facilities, or perhaps join an optional float trip down the scenic Colorado River? Later, take an included leisurely cruise through scenic Antelope Canyon with its dramatic, steep, sandstone walls. (Full Breakfast)|
Lake Powell Resorts and Marinas (Lake view rooms)
|Day 13||Zion National Park||Bryce Canyon and Zion National Parks.: Head to Bryce Canyon National Park in southern Utah for a leisurely walk along Sunset Point to view the great amphitheatres of the odd-shaped monoliths, known as hoodoos. Travel through more amazing scenery to the lush cliff-and-canyon landscape of Zion National Park. In the evening, join your Tour Director and newfound friends for a Highlight Dinner with wine. (Full Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Zion National Park Lodge.
|Day 14||Las Vegas||Zion to Las Vegas, from Nature to Neon.: Board a private Zion Canyon Shuttle, with live commentary, to experience the scenic highlights of the park, followed by some time to explore on your own. A complete change of scenery awaits you in the afternoon when you arrive in Las Vegas; bright lights, shopping malls and huge themed hotels. (Full Breakfast)|
ARIA Resort and Casino, Las Vegas
|Day 15||Salt Lake City||Salt Lake City.: Travel to Salt Lake City, the most populous city and capital of Utah, also the headquarters of the Mormon faith. (Full Breakfast)|
Hilton Salt Lake City Center.
|Day 16||Jackson and Grand Teton National Park||Jackson and Grand Teton National Park.: As you depart Salt Lake City, see the famous Temple Square and State Capitol Building before travelling north across the Oregon Trail to visit historic Jackson, where arches of elk antlers adorn the central square. Later, continue to Jackson Lake Lodge and the stunning peaks of Grand Teton National Park. (Full Breakfast)|
Jackson Lake Lodge.
|Day 17||Yellowstone National Park||Yellowstone National Park.: See the Grand Tetons thrust skyward 6,562 feet (2,000 metres) from the valley floor. Enter Yellowstone, the world's first National Park, known for its unique geothermal activity, spectacular landscapes, and abundant wildlife. (Full Breakfast / Dinner)|
National Park Lodges, Yellowstone
|Day 18||Yellowstone National Park||Geysers and Colourful Mudpots at Yellowstone.: (Relaxed Start) Walk among the geysers and watch them erupt. Spend time with your Tour Director for an informative stroll through Yellowstone's Upper Geyser Basin. There will be plenty of time to see the colourful bubbling mudpots and observe Old Faithful shooting water over 120 feet (37 metres) in the air. See wildlife in their natural habitat and hear the roar of the Lower Yellowstone Falls. (Full Breakfast)|
National Park Lodges, Yellowstone
|Day 19||Clearmont||The Ranch at UCross.: Depart Yellowstone National Park and travel through the stark Shoshone Canyon and Absaroka Rocky Mountains, to reach the Wild West town of Cody. Visit the Buffalo Bill Center of the West, built in honour of one of America's great Western legends. Head to Clearmont in Wyoming and after checking in, indulge in a ranch style Highlight Dinner with wine. (Full Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
The Ranch at UCross
|Day 20||Lead||Devils Tower into the Black Hills.: Start your morning with horseback riding, fishing or just relaxing in your beautiful surroundings. Then, head towards Devils Tower, an astounding geologic feature that protrudes out of the surrounding Black Hills and is considered sacred to the Lakota and other tribes. Travel to Spearfish Canyon, a great spot for wildlife enthusiasts, where the breathtaking limestone palisades of this creek-carved gorge are more ancient than the Grand Canyon. Enjoy the scenery before sitting down to dinner. (Full Breakfast / Dinner)|
Spearfish Canyon Lodge.
|Day 21||Custer State Park||Custer and the Wild, Wild West.: Keep a lookout for pronghorn antelope as you cross the great high plains to the Black Hills of South Dakota. In Deadwood, join Kevin Costner's Original Deadwood Tour and explore this once lawless town. With a Local Expert, hear about the days of Wild Bill Hickok and Calamity Jane, who made this town famous during the gold rush of the 1870s. Then, hear stories told by members of the Lakota tribe as they share a live narrative of the Great Sioux Nation. Continue on to Custer State Park, renowned for its beautiful landscape and abundant wildlife. Perhaps get up-close and personal with herds of buffalo on an optional jeep safari? (Full Breakfast)|
The State Game Lodge, Custer State Park
|Day 22||Custer State Park||The Mountain Monuments of the Black Hills of South Dakota.: View the Crazy Horse Memorial, dedicated to all Native Americans. Move on to Mount Rushmore National Memorial, where carvings of Presidents Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln and Roosevelt dominate the Black Hills. The rest of the day is yours to spend at your leisure before enjoying a Celebration Dinner with wine. (Full Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
The State Game Lodge, Custer State Park
|Day 23||Depart Rapid City||Depart Rapid City.: Those ending in Rapid City may depart at any time. Alternatively, travel south from Custer State Park where your tour ends on arrival in Denver. A transfer is available to Denver International Airport. (Full Breakfast)|
- Notes: Twin prices are per person. 27 Apr 2018: This departure will stay at The Lodge at Jackson Hole in Jackson (WY) located outside of Grand Teton National Park. Book Your Air Early: To get the best land & air deal possible! 27 Apr, 25 May, 15 Jun, 29 Jun 2018: These departures will stay at the Westin Bonaventure instead of the JW Mariott in Los Angeles. 27 Sep 2018: This departure will stay at Tenaya Lodge at Yosemite National Park in Fish Camp located outside of Yosemite National Park. 29 June 2018: This departure will stay at the Red Lion Hotel in Salt Lake City instead of at the Hilton Salt Lake City located in Salt Lake City. 04 May, 25 May and 08 Jun 2018: These departures will stay at at Springhill Suites Zion National Park in Springdale (UT) located outside of Zion National Park instead of at Zion Lodge in Zion National Park.
- These prices are correct at the time of the website going live, however are subject to confirmation at the time of booking.
- All tour information is correct at time of tours going live, however is subject to change, please confirm all details at time of booking.
- For full terms and conditions, please refer to our Conditions page.
- Hotel Class Key: D: Deluxe SF: Superior First Class F: First Class